- Category: Monthly Member Profile
- Published: 07 April 2016
- Hits: 1059
The Georgian Biosafety Association (GeBSA) was established in 2009 and since then has grown to a membership of 70 professionals who are involved in biomedical studies in Georgia. GeBSA is the member of International Federation of Biosafety Associations (IFBA), is affiliated with the American Biosafety Association (ABSA) and is partner of the European Biosafety Association (EBSA). The Association is non-governmental not-for-profit organization, voluntary association including the National Center for Disease Control and Public Health (NCDC) of Georgia and S. Durmishidze Institute of Biotechnology and Biochemistry. GeBSA coordinates activities dealing with biosafety and biosecurity issues associated with research, education and practical activities in Georgia. The Association’s overall goal is the development and implementation of integral requirements on all aspects of biosafety during the manipulations with infectious materials in conformity with international rules and norms; the promotion and development of biosafety as priority direction in assurance of safety of for the Georgian population and environment.
To achieve this goal the GeBSA carries out the following missions:
- Coordinates development of modern rules of biosafety taking into account the international standards in area of microbiology, laboratory diagnostics, virology, parasitology, and epizootology of infectious diseases;
- Assists members of Association in expertise and other assessments, development of standards, regulations, methods, manuals, recommendations, programs, and legislation drafts, harmonized with international requirements;
- Promotes development of research and science and technology potential of facilities and methods used in biosafety and biosecurity in various areas; practical implementation of up-to-date means of medical-biological safety; intergovernmental and international cooperation in area of biosafety and biosecurity;
- Promotes the implementation of modern rules of biosafety in microbiology, virology, parasitology, epidemiology, medical zoology, and clinical presentations of infectious diseases;
- Develops integral programs for training of specialists on a basis of international standards of biosafety; etc.
GeBSA had provided a number of training workshops on biorisk management for our members and for other professionals (e.g. clinicians, first responders) with assistance from a variety of international donor organizations. Additionally, GeBSA has internally funded training sessions for emergency departments of Georgian Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Internal Affairs, and conducted several outreach sessions for rural laboratories and hospitals.
- “International Workshop on CWA 15793:2008. Understanding and Implementation of BioRisk Management Standard” – International Science and Technology Center (ISTC)/ US DoD Defense Threat Reduction Agency, November 2013 – January 31.
- “Biosafety and Biosecurity Risk Management for Georgia” - UNICRI/DEVCO, January 2014 – December 2015.
- “Biosafety Associations Sustainability Workshop” – CRDF/UK Ministry of Defense, September - November 2013.
- Organizing The Fifth Annual Conference of the Biosafety Association of Central Asia and the Caucasus (BACAC) Workshop, ISTC, EU DEVCO, UK MoD, August 2013 – April 2014.
Additionally, GeBSA has internally funded training sessions for emergency departments of Georgian Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Internal Affairs, and conducted several outreach sessions for rural laboratories and hospitals.
For further details please see visit their website at www.gebsa.ge
President of the National Academy of Sciences of Georgia