Biosafety and Biosecurity Association of South Sudan (BBASS) Copy
The Biosafety & Biosecurity Association of South Sudan (BBASS) was found in 2021 with a mission to safeguard and secure formidable, competent based public health workforce and safe working environment for all workers involved in dealing with biological organisms and agents following one health approach. BBASS will work hand in hand with and in accordance with IHR (2005) global health agenda to foster for and advocate in support of biosafety and biosecurity management services and systems across countries, regions and continents. BBASS is inspired by One Health Multi-sectoral and multi-disciplinary approach to work in coordination and collaboration with other associations specifically dealing with biosafety, biosecurity, technology, research, private and public health organizations and agencies, corporate or private throughout South Sudan and globally to promote biosafety, biosecurity and bio-risk management as a scientific discipline. BBASS mission is to be the champion of biosecurity, biosafety and bio-risk management agency using cost effective and sustainable ways following multi-sectoral and multi-disciplinary approach.
BBASS has the following outlined objectives at hand:
- Seek to influence and support legislation and standards in the areas of bio-risk management, biosafety, biosecurity, biotechnology, bioinformatics and associated activities.
- Provide technical assistance in bio-risk management, biosafety and biosecurity to other organizations, association and institutions of higher learning.
- Provide professional body that represents the interests and desires of practitioners of biosafety, biosecurity, and bio-risk management throughout the country.
- Seek avenues to strengthen the development and advancement of culture of bio-risk management.
- Design and implement standards and guidelines for biosafety, biosecurity, and bio-risk management among South Sudan Laboratories and industries.
- Sustainably, continue to promote the awareness and practice of laboratory biosafety and biosecurity throughout South Sudan.
- Provide a setting for knowledge-sharing in bio-risk management.
- Seek to enhance collaboration among other sectors and disciplines such as Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) and Ministry of Security and networking between laboratories in areas of laboratory bio-risk management to assess, analysed and inform about the biosafety and biosecurity level across the country.
- Support continuous professional development and certifications for the members and other professional or technical institutions.
- Seek to facilitate collaboration with the local and international biosafety, biosecurity and bio-risk management groups or association.
Biosafety and Biosecurity Association of South Sudan is recruiting new volunteers to the association from various professional sectors and disciplines. BBASS is a legally recognized and registered national organization in South Sudan.
The following are the association leaders and executive:
Abe Gordon Abias, BBASS Chairperson
Mr. Abias is the current Director for Quality Assurance, Lead for COVID-19 Laboratory respond Pillar at National Public Health Laboratory and Blood Transfusion Services at National MOH, South Sudan.
John Pasquale Rumunu, BBASS Deputy Chairperson
Dr. John Rumunu is the current Director General for Preventive and Public Health, an Acting Director General for Planning, Budgeting and Policy, and an Acting Incident Manager for COVID-19 Pandemic at National MOH, South Sudan.
John Kuot Kuany Diing, BBASS Secretary General
Dr. John is an Emergency Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Surgery Clinical Associate, Pandemic Preparedness and Respond Expert, Healthcare Management and Research Consultant, and an In-Country CEO at South Sudan African Mission (SSAM), a national evangelists (Missionaries) ran Organization.
Moi Alex Lasu, BBASS Assistant Secretary and Public Relation Focal Point
Mr. Moi work with the MOH as Laboratory Scientist and a laboratory blood transfusion specialist.
Awar Athuai Akok, BBASS Treasure and Administrator
Ms. Awar work with National MOH as HIV Quality Management system.
Beda Angelo Bangbaru, BBASS Assistant Treasurer
Mr. Beda work at MOH as laboratory technologist at Blood Bank and Transfusion Service.
Aluel Jervase Manyuat, BBASS Technical Advisor and Research Associate
Ms. Aluel is a Veterinary specialist and currently working with South Sudan National Bureau of Standard as Food Inspector.